'Cimitero monumentale di Staglieno in Genoa, Italy, Part-II' - by K.J.S.Chatrath
One may add here a few words about the history of this cemetery. King Carlo Alberto of Savoy clained in 1832 with the Regie Patenti Publics or a public proclamation that public cemeteries be constructed in good hygienic conditions and prohibited burials in churches.
Civic Architect Carlo Barabino was entrusted with the responsibility of planning a central and monumntal cemetery which should comply with all functional requirements.
Barabino's plan was carried out by Architect Giovanni Battista Reasco. The cemetery was officially opened to public on Jnuary 1, 1851 and the provisional chapel was blessed.
sourced from 'Itineraries in Staglieno', edited and published by the Commune of Genoa, Italy )